Allison is a 35-year-old Caucasian female who is a disabled veteran that recently lost her job due to a declining state of mental health. Allison has suffered from PTSD for over 10 years. Allison was originally diagnosed with PTSD after returning from combat overseas from the Middle East by the VA and was given an honorable discharge. Allison had incurred a vast amount of trauma throughout her years as a military member including sexual assault by an older service member. Allison has attended mental health treatment at the VA on and off over the last 10 years. Allison has not disclosed the sexual assault with the VA due to shame and fear of retaliation from the military.
- Describe how a human service professional would use the biopsychosocial model to assess Allison’s needs.
- Discuss two types of crises that may have led to Allison’s diagnosis of PTSD. Define PTSD and identify three symptoms that Allison may be experiencing because of it.
- Explain what level of distress and impairment of functioning Allison may be exhibiting.
- Identify one type of disability that Allison may have. Explain how the disability may be impacting her life psychologically, physically and socially (biopsychosocial standpoint).
- Discuss how the military culture has either positively or negatively influenced Allison’s well-being.