NIT3171 ICT Business Analysis & Data Visualization
Individual Assignment – Business Analysis Case Study (Stage II – 35 marks weighing 35%)
Report Submission Date (through the dropbox): (10% will be deducted for each day of delay)
Presentation (5 minutes each) 10 Marks:
In this assignment, a Melbourne housing dataset is given to you to apply data mining techniques to resolve a business problem. Assuming that you are taking a business analyst role in a real estate consulting firm, and you are asked to leverage your business analytical skills to make better use of the given housing dataset.
By finishing this assignment, you will achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Review the current algorithms, methodologies and modelling for ICT business analytics;
- Evaluate various ICT business analytic tools and techniques; and
- Propose a business analytics report to solve practical problems identified in an ICT
The entire assignment has two stages. In this individual assignment, you will finish the second
stage by yourself alone.
Main tasks to do in individual assignment:
- Select one business analysis task* from Task 3 of your group assignment
- Select an appropriate data mining method for your analysis task
- Analyse and discuss your results/findings/achievement
- Provide your suggestions based on your results/findings/achievement to business management
- Present your work to the class
Report to submit (5 marks for the report & graphs quality)
You need to submit your report via dropbox on VU Collaborate, NIT3171 space. Each group has its own submission dropbox, that is, one group only needs to submit one copy. You also needs to submit your presentation PPT file. If you have any visualization file with large size, please submit the original image file in .jpg, .gif, or other format that can be opened by
windows photo viewer. Your report should be saved in MS Word or PDF format.
A suggested report template could be:
- Title of your report/task
- Your name & student ID
- Unit code, unit name & submission date
Introduction (2 marks)
- Introduce the background of your business analysis task
- Brief introduction of the problem/objective/goal/aim of your analysis task
- Overview of your report, the organization of your report, tell your readers what they will read from your report
Business Analysis problem/task (3 marks)
- describe your business analysis problem in more details
- what specific task will you do in this report?
- what is expected to have by finishing this business analysis task?
- The benefit or contribution that your business analysis task will achieve
Methodology (5 marks)
- What data mining method/algorithm/model is used to solve your business analysis problem?
- Brief introduction of the method/algorithm/model
- Why do you select this method to solve the problem?
- What data set do you use? Brief introduction of the data set
- Pre-processing of your data set, what the ready-to-use data set will be? For example, after attribute selection or after data cleaning
Result & discussion (5 marks)
- Present your results and findings
- Discuss your results
- Provide any suggestion to business management
Conclusion (5 Marks)
- Summarize your report, highlight your business analysis problem/task, method, and results
Everyone has 5 minutes for presentation. PPT is required to support your presentation.