A. This assignment is designed to be a capstone paper drawing upon your semester studying argumentation and debate. You will apply argumentation concepts/theory to a published newspaper editorial. Your paper should be 5-7 pages total. Please double space your paper, use 1 inch margins, and 12 point font.
B. Please select one of the following list of editorial articles for your paper:
1) “Where Is the Smithsonian Museum for American Latinos?” (will be included in files)
2) “Why all 50 states need to allow teens to get vaccinated without parental consent” (will be included in files)
3) “Newsom should follow the science”
4) “Follow the Warning Signs: California is facing a devastating drought”
C. Please use the critical thinking model (will be provided in files) in analyzing the editorial. Please make sure to include at least 1 example (ie, a sentence or two) from the editorial for each of the parts to illustrate your point.
D. Please cover the following areas in your paper (1 body paragraph each):
1. What is the question at issue? And what is the point of view (stance) of the editorial on that question? Pro or Con?
2. What specific evidence is presented? Is the evidence credible? Use the intellectual standards listed at the top of the model in evaluating the evidence.
3. What type(s) of inductive reasoning is included in the editorial?
4. What assumptions are made in the editorial?
5. What is your overall impression of the editorial? Do you think it was persuasive? How could it be improved?
E. You should have a short introduction and conclusion for your paper.
F. Please include a works cited page with a reference to the editorial you selected, the critical thinking model, and any other articles you cite in MLA format at the end your paper (does not count towards page limit)
“Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!”