Classroom Challenge 1 – Room Arrangement Instructions
Most researchers agree that room arrangement has an impact on the level of student engagement. One of the first challenges you will face in your classroom is how to arrange it. Where will I store student materials? What kind of work stations should I have? How should I arrange the desks?
In this module/week’s challenge you will answer these questions by addressing the following 3 considerations: (1) minimizing distractions, (2) maximizing instructional access, and (3) matching desk arrangement to instruction. Read and study the provided scenario about Leila as you begin to contemplate what your ideal classroom will look like.
Specificity is important with this assignment; as you write your paper, you must continually ask yourself “why” and “how.” In your paper you must discuss each consideration separately regarding how each can be accomplished to help Leila achieve her goal. To earn full credit, your paper must employ specific and quality discourse.
The Biblical integration for the first classroom challenge is to demonstrate our LU School of Education mission, something we call SCRIP. SCRIP is based in Galatians 5:22, 23 as the Biblical core for teaching dispositions.
In your CC1 paper the following dispositions should be demonstrated in your solutions:
- Social Responsibility: love, joy, peace, goodness
- Commitment to the Profession: faithfulness, long suffering
- Reflective Practice: faithfulness
- Integrity: goodness
- Professionalism: gentleness, meekness, temperance
The grading rubric for this assignment is provided in the Course Content folder and should be considered the best source regarding what is required to successfully complete this assignment.
Include the following discussion points in your paper:
- Minimizing Distractions
- From the scenario provided find and identify 3 distractors you see exemplified that are disturbing Leila in her current seating arrangement.
- explain why you chose each of the 3 distractors that you identified. Cite this research in your discussion and include it in a reference list of your sources at the end of your paper.
- What solutions can you apply to the classroom arrangement to minimize distractions for Leila?
- Maximizing Instructional Access
- From the scenario provided find and identify 2 hindrances to instruction/instructional materials for Leila as they pertain to her in her current seating arrangement.
- Use examples from the scenario provided to show how each hindrance you identified creates disturbance for Leila in her current seating arrangement.
- Use peer-reviewed research articles (provided) to explain why you chose each of the 2 hindrances that you identified. Cite this research in your discussion and include it in a reference list of your sources at the end of your paper.
- Matching Desk Arrangement to Instruction
- With consideration of the arrangement of students’ desks in the scenario provided identify what is wrong with this arrangement as it pertains to Leila in her current desk location.
- Use examples from the scenario provided to show how this problem you identified with desk arrangement is unsupportive for Leila.
- Use peer-reviewed research articles (provided) to explain why you identified this problem with students’ desks as being unsupportive for Leila. Cite this research in your discussion and include it in a reference list of your sources at the end of your paper.
- What solutions can you apply to the arrangement of students’ desks to better match desk arrangement and instruction for Leila?
- Biblical Integration – SCRIP
The following are requirements for your paper:
- Your paper must meet a minimum of 1200 words (not including the title page, abstract page, and reference page) and be formatted in current APA style.
- You must use at least 4 sources in your paper:
- 1 source must be the Bible (reference which translation you use, i.e. KJV, NKJV, NIV, etc.)
- 1 source must be the course textbook
- 2 sources must come from peer-reviewed research articles.
- You are encouraged to use the articles that are provided with this classroom challenge in the Course Content.
- Research articles:
- Must be peer-reviewed;
- Must be published within the last 7 years; and
- Must be at least 5 pages.
- You must include at least 5 citations within your paper for the work you borrow from all your sources.
Submit your Classroom Challenge 1 as a Microsoft Word document using the assignment link provided by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday of Module/Week 2.
“Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!”