The purpose of this assignment is to help you understand the impact that a company’s ethical or unethical practices have on their reputation and future success.
This assignment helps to accomplish course learning outcomes 1, 2 and 3 and module learning outcome 7.4
Instructions: Go to the site for the Better Business Bureau (BBB) of West Georgia and East Alabama, using the link below.
You will use this page to search the company reports for several companies. Type the following company names into the search engine, and read their reports.
- Generic Motor & Transmission
- Transmission Experts and more
- Benny’s Select Transmission Repair
- Smith Transmission Service
- Mr. Transmission/MLM Enterprises
*Note : I chose transmission repair shops due to the notoriety of this particular class of business. The reports chosen were randomly selected to represent a cross-section of different types of reports.
1) How do these reports affect how you feel about the businesses? Which would you be most likely to use, and why? For purposes of this assignment, please disregard location as a factor.
2) Return to the search page. Select a few businesses you frequent and read their reports. Summarize at least 5 reports of businesses you use. Were you surprised by any of the reports?
3) Were you aware that the BBB provided this type of service, prior to doing this assignment? Have you ever used the BBB for this type of information before? Do you find the service worthwhile? Will you use this site in the future, now that you know it is here?
4) In general, do you feel that this service will cause businesses to become more ethical? Note, you do not have to analyze this case using the ethical principles, but feel free to mention them where appropriate.
5) Look up the transmission sites above on a different rating site, such as Yelp, Google or Angie’s list. How do the sites compare. What could the BBB do to be more competitive?