For this assignment you will write a minimum 4 page expository paper analyzing the theoretical cognitive processes involved in decision making. Specifically, you will discuss decision making in the context of bad decision making by adolescents. Please utilize the following case study in developing your paper:
Tim is a 17-year-old male who is on summer break from school. Tim’s friends asked him to go with them on Friday night to a party in a nearby large city. However, Tim’s parents have forbidden him from traveling to the town and have explicitly told him that he cannot go. Tim’s parents are aware that the friends he would like to go with have gotten into legal trouble in the past for underage drinking, however, Tim assured his parents that they would not be drinking and would not get into any trouble. After Tim informed his friends that he could not go, they began pressuring him to sneak out of his home and go with them anyway. Due to the pressure from his peers, Tim snuck out of his house and went with them to the party. While Tim was at the party, a noise complaint was made due to loud music, and the police were dispatched to the party to investigate the complaint. Tim and his friends were detained by the police and he had to call his parents to have them pick him up from the police station.
Include the following in your paper:
- What does research show regarding the tendency for adolescents to make bad decisions?
- What factors impact bad decision-making during adolescence? (describe at least 3)
- What regions of the brain are implicated in bad decision making from a developmental perspective?
- Analyze how Bayes’s Theorem can be applied to the case study including the following:
- How can prior probability, conditional probability, and posterior probability be applied to the decision-making process?
- Do human’s reason in the fashion described by Bayes’s theorem? Why or why not?
- How do the following apply to the case study based on Bayes’s Theorem:
- Base-rate neglect
- Probability matching
- Gambler’s fallacy
- Utilizing your knowledge of cognitive psychology and decision making, how might Tim’s parents have better prevented Tim’s poor decision?
Your assignment should be a minimum 4 page expository essay, not including the title and reference pages, and should include the following elements:
- Title page: Provide your name, title of assignment, course and section number, and date.
- Body: Answer all the questions in complete sentences and paragraphs. Your responses should reflect professional writing standards, using proper tone and language. The writing and writing style should be correct and accurate, and reflect knowledge of skills and practice in the human service profession.
- Reference page: Sources listed in APA format. o Include a minimum of three scholarly or academic sources to support your responses and conclusions.
- Use Arial or Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced and left aligned.
- Use standard 1″ margins on all sides.
- Use APA formatting and citation style. o If you need assistance with APA style, please visit Academic Writer