Student will watch the selected film and write a 6-10 page Reaction/Response paper about the film. Through the paper, the student will connect the ethical themes of the film to the academic content of the course.
Ethics form the basis of our medical system which apply to all in medical scenarios- the patient the practitioner and the system.
Review Chapter 12 and use it as a reference for the paper. Please use scholarly journals as references – we have a dedicated healthcare librarian in the library that can assist you in finding articles.
Or ask any of the other librarians for assistance if Professor Dalrymple is not available.
Some samples include (the first two not as evidenced based as the third-recognize the difference with regard to source):
My Sisters Keeper
Starring Cameron Diaz and Abigail Breslin
There is a copy of the film on reserve in the Bergen Community College Library for you to access. The reserve copy must not be removed from the library, must be utilized in the library and watched in one of the viewing rooms in the library. You may also decide to stream it on your own at home, at your own expense.
Make sure to read the entire assignment before watching the film and take notes during to the film to make the assignment easier. You can see the reserve in the library catalog here: https://bergencc.on.worldcat.org/oclc/435824390
While watching the film consider and address the following in a Response – Reaction Paper:
(Make notes as you are watching the film as you will need to mention individual events, people and themes in the assignment).
- Identify the three ethical dilemmas in the film-
1. A terminally ill minor child-patients right to die
2. Genetic engineering a child to be a donor child
3. Medical emancipation of a minor DONOR child
Briefly describe each one of them in three separate and short fully formed paragraphs using scholarly articles as needed. (3)
- Select one of the scenarios and dissect it using the terms that represent the basic ethical principles learned in class: a) patient autonomy b) beneficence c) non-malfeasance d) dignity e) justice. (4) Then address the dilemma you choose from three perspectives- the parental perspective (5), the sick child perspective (6), and the donor child perspective (7).How did the pillars of ethics play a role in the three perspectives (beneficence, non-malfeasance, autonomy, justice, dignity). (8)
- As a student studying ethics and the healthcare system, write about what surprised you in the film and what raised an area of concern for you. Also, write about what moved you in the film. (9,10)
- Identify one factor (person or event) that facilitated the ethical process or the healthcare process in the film. Describe why it was an important part of the process. (11,12)
- Identify one factor (person or event) that thwarted the ethical process in the in the film. Describe how. (If you do not know what thwarted is- look it up! I will know if you do not understand it by what you write).(13,14)
Make notes while watching the film since you will need to make connections to scenes in the movie as you write about it.
After watching the film consider and address the above yellow highlighted points in a 6-10 page reaction paper.
**(One page is title page, one page references).**
This paper will be grammatically correct and written at the college level (grammar, capitalization, and spelling, referencing).
It will be graded on thoroughness, depth of thought and ability to connect classroom learning with the themes in the film.
Paper Content and Format
All points must be answered/addressed.
Title page: Paper will have a title page and be labeled according to the examples provided by the faculty under separate cover. Use page numbers. No number on cover page.
First pages 2-3 pages:
Include a short synopsis of the film: (Who what where why when). DO NOT COPY YOUR SYNOPSIS FROM THE INTERNET, NETFLIX, OR DIRECTLY FROM THE FILM COVER AS I AM AWARE OF MANY OF THE RESOURCES ON THIS FILM.
Body: pages 3-8.
Address the points in the yellow highlighted area above. Minimum four to five paragraphs.
Conclusion: approximately Page 9
VERY IMPORTANT AND THE PERSONAL REFLECTION PIECE OF THE PAPER. Personal opinion of the film and how the class material prepared/educated you for the subject matter. Describe how delving into the topic of healthcare ethics impacted how you critically viewed the movie, and how it has impacted your role as a patient in at least one to three paragraphs.
THE LAST PAGE OF THE PAPER IS THE APA FORMATTED REFERENCE PAGE.
Minimum of five references in APA format/style. You may have more depending on the type of research you do for the paper.
- One reference MUST be the textbook with the ethics chapter used.
- One reference MUST be the film in APA format.
Other three will include at least one scholarly article on each one of the ethical scenarios in the film:
- A terminal minors right to die
- Genetic engineering of a donor child.
- Medical emancipation of a minor child.
***The library has resources for you to use for APA formatting and there is a writing center on campus you can visit******There are also many online resources to use for guidelines on APA formatting ***