Lynn is a 39 year old woman that is obese, with a BMI of 42. She is a stay at home mom with three young children, ages 9, 7, and 4. She says that she has tried many diets and had limited success, and has been unsuccessful at losing her pregnancy weight. While she does provide her kids with three meals/day, Lynn often skips breakfast and has 2 cookies with coffee around lunch, and then will eat dinner with the kids. She often eats junk food and sodas at night when she is doing homework for her online classes to stay awake. Lynn recently decided that her only option was to try a fad diet where she drinks only water and is only allowed to eat from 12pm-6pm. The only foods she can eat on this diet are cabbage soup, lean turkey, egg whites, and green vegetables (raw).
- What are the dangers of fad diets?
- What are the dangers of Lynn’s chosen fad diet? Why or why not do you feel she will be successful with this approach?
- What suggestions would you have for Lynn in regards to her food intake and diet?
- What do you see as “roadblocks” or could be things that make it difficult for Lynn to lose weight and meet her goals?
- In regards to her lifestyle, what kinds of changes can be made/ suggestions can you make to help her meet her weight loss goals?