3.2 Assignment. Power, Politics, and Influence
When was the last time someone in power in your organization left you speechless? When was the last time someone in power in your organization left you speechless? Feeling powerless? What was the action they displayed and how did you feel? As a follower, you can speak into the situation and even facilitate change. No, it is not easy, but power is not always a top-down process. Followers have power too! When leaders display coercive power, followers can comply or they can choose to act courageously, even disobeying intelligently, in ways to serve the common purpose and mission of the organization. In this assignment, you will explore conflict, politics, and power and be able to decide how you can use influence in a positive way to initiate change for the better or at least speak into the process.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
· Differentiate between power and influence.
· Analyze the effect of organizational politics.
· Explain organizational sources of power.
Model of Factors Contributing to Negative Organizational Outcomes
1. Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
2. Read Chapter 13(PDF document) in the text An Introduction to Organization Behavior.
3. Write a two – three-page paper (excluding title page and reference page) that addresses the following prompts:
a. Describe a work/organizational experience by highlighting at least 3 factors from the model in the Background Information section that contributed to a situation with the types of negative outcomes also described.
b. Then, provide two-three principles or practices leaders could use to eliminate or overcome those negative influences and produce more positive outcomes.
4. Be sure to include a brief introduction and conclusion to your paper.