Sport Psychology HPES 671
Sport and Exercise Psychology Movie Critique
This project provides you the opportunity to apply sport and exercise psychology concepts to a movie.
Instructions Choose a topic from the following: • Motivation • Flow • Communication • Cohesion/Group dynamics • Anxiety • Imagery • Goal setting • Self-confidence
Search the Internet for a listing of the greatest sport movies and watch a movie that addresses the mental skills topic of your choice.
In a four- to five-page paper, do the following:
• Briefly summarize the movie.
• Explain the use of the mental skills in the movie.
• Provide an overview of the theoretical development of the mental skill (e.g. from lecture, class notes, book, other research articles).
• Present a critique, based on the theoretical development, of how the movie portrayed both appropriate and inappropriate strategies in developing mental skills.
• Identify what you would do differently in working with the team, athlete, or individual portrayed in the movie.
• Address implications for your own field. For example, how would you apply what you have learned from the movie and through theory to develop this same mental skill (e.g., goal setting) as a fitness leader?
• Be sure to use at least two scholarly references and include a reference page at the end of the paper.
Evaluation This project will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Summary 10%
- Explanation of mental skills 10%
- Theoretical development of mental skills 25%
- Critique 20%
- What you would do differently 10%
- Implications 15%
- References 5%
- Spelling and grammar 5%
- Total 100%
- 5% will be deducted for each day the assignment is late!
“Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!”