This project ensures that you are able to read and correctly interpret sport psychology research.
Carefully read the provided journal article (you may need to do several readings to fully understand it). Note the rationale for the study, its purpose, the basic method used, the results, and the discussion of the results.
Unless you’ve had advanced statistical courses, the results section may be difficult to understand, but try to understand as much as you can. Notice that the article’s abstract and the discussion section often emphasize the major findings. Answer these questions about the study:
- What was the purpose of the study?
- How was the study conducted? (Who were the subjects? What did the subjects do?)
- What was found in the study?
- What are the limitations of the study?
- Did the author(s) acknowledge the limitations of the study?
- Did the results and discussion seem consistent? Explain.
- What implications do the study’s findings have for us?
- If you were conducting research in this area, what would be the next study you would conduct based on the outcome of this study? That is, where do we go from here?
Remember the following about doing a critique of this study?
• In your critique, don’t just focus on the negative aspects of the study. Rather, try to present a balanced view of the study’s strengths and limitations.
This project will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
Accuracy of interpretation and discussion 30%
Scope – all questions answered in sufficient detail 35%
Clarity and quality of writing 25%
Grammar, spelling, format 10%
- 5% will be deducted for each day the assignment is late!