Before beginning this assignment review the guidance on “Writing an Article Review” Then, using the UMUC Library electronic databases, find an article from a recent (within the last seven years) issue of an APA journal with a focus on Personality (e.g., Journal of Personality and Social Psychology or Personality And Personality Disorders).
The article should describe specifically an experimental manipulation by the researchers. This means that the researchers conducted a study that is a true experiment with an easily identifiable independent and dependent variable. (Do not select meta-analyses, summaries, editorials or theoretical articles. It is your responsibility to make sure that the journal article you select is appropriate. If you are unsure about the relevance of your article, contact your instructor for approval.).
After reading your selected article, prepare a 1 to 3 page summary of the article in your own words. Include in your summary:
- What is the purpose of the research? (Address specifics regarding the overall purpose of the research in question.)
- What hypothesis is tested? (Provide a clear statement of the researchers hypothesis.)
- How did the researchers investigate their research question? (Provide details regarding the study methodology.)
- What are the pertinent results of the manipulation? (What were the findings and conclusions drawn?)
- What is your personal opinion of the study conducted? Should it be repeated? How can it be improved?
- What is your overall impression of the work?
- What are the implications of the study for the practice of counseling psychology?
Your summary should be written as a coherent essay (do not format as a list of answers to these questions). You may include additional insights in your analysis, but you must address these key issues.
Prepare your Article Review according to the following guidelines:
- Structure your paper utilizing APA style; this includes title page, headers, subheadings, in-text citations, reference page, and general paper format (1-inch margins, double-spaced, 12-point font, etc.). An abstract is not required.
- Submit as a single document in either Microsoft Word, PDF, or RTF format.
- Your final Article Review paper should be approximately 1 to 3 pages (excluding title page and reference page):Title page (do not count page towards paper length requirement)Body of paper (1 to 3 pages)Reference page (do not count page towards paper length requirement)