Narrative essays are stories or scenes. Narrative essays can be fun to write. However, an excellent narrative essay must be more than just an entertaining story; it should also convey a particular point or message. You can find some good ideas for these essays in novels, short stories, films, cartoons, and other works.
Narrative essays are popular assignments for many kinds of academic courses.
Most writing begins with choosing a topic, which is the most challenging part for most students.
Read on to find a list of the best narrative essay topics for your assignment.
How to choose a topic for a narrative essay
Narrative essays can be intimidating because they require a lot of storytelling. This can seem out of reach if you aren’t used to crafting your anecdotes together. However, narrative essays are also some of the most creative papers you’ll write in high school/college. Here are three tips to help you find a good topic for your narrative essay:
Consider your audience
Your audience is one of the first things you should remember when choosing a topic. Who are you going to write for? Is it for a college application or a scholarship? Or perhaps it’s for your parents or friends? This is essential because it will help you choose a suitable topic for your audience.
Pick something that interests you
An excellent way to start is by thinking about what interests you. Maybe there’s a specific book or movie that stuck with you, or perhaps something that happened in real life that impacted your life. Possibly these things are related — like how Harry Potter sparked your interest in reading, which led you to read other books.
Be comfortable with your style
If you struggle with writing about specific topics, it’s probably not the best choice for an essay. If you are confident in the style of writing that comes naturally to you, then it is easier to pick a topic based on your strengths rather than trying to force yourself into a mold that may not fit well with who you are as an individual.
Narrative essay topics for high school students
Narrative writing is a great way to describe your life experiences. These papers can be very personal, so it is important to choose a topic that you are interested in and is relevant to your life.
The following list of narrative essay topics can help you get started:
- What is your most embarrassing moment? Why was this moment embarrassing?
- Who is your favorite teacher? What stands out about this particular teacher?
- Describe your prom night.
- What is a day in school you will never forget? Was it bad or good? How did it impact you to date?
- What is your favorite class? And why is it your favorite class?
- What is your favorite minor class?
- What is your most favorite sport?
- Describe the day you failed a class.
- How’s your relationship with your family like? Do you enjoy it?
- How’s your relationship with your siblings?
- Who was your first crush and why?
- What was your first real friendship like?
- What is the best book you’ve ever read?
- What is the best trip you’ve been to?
- What is your favorite food?
- Who is your favorite celebrity?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite tv show?
- What do you love to do in your free time? Do you like reading books, watching movies, listening to music or playing sports?
- What is your favorite book/movie/sport/pastime? Why do you love it so much?
- What makes you unique as a person? Are there any particular skills or talents that set you apart from others (e.g., playing an instrument, singing well)?
- What are some of your strengths and weaknesses as a person? What character traits do people often praise/criticize about you?
Narrative essays topics for college students
College students have many things to do in their free time. Some students like to read books, while others prefer to go to the cinema or watch TV. Still, all students struggle with finding topics for their assignments.
What do you do when you have no idea what to write? How can you find a good topic for your essay? The most important thing is to choose a topic that interests you. If it doesn’t interest you, it will be hard for you to write it.
Here are some narrative essay topics for college students:
- What is your favorite school course?
- Who’s your favorite professor?
- How did you find out your interests?
- How was your first day in college? Did you like it? Were you scared?
- How did you meet your roommate?
- Who was your first date? Are you still dating? Describe the reasons why you are still dating them or not.
- How did you make friends in college, and what challenges did you face?
- Your first time away from home.
- Have you ever had a bad roommate? How was the situation handled, and what did you learn?
- Discuss the positive impact of roommates on college students.
- What would you change if you could go back to your first day in college?
- What was the best thing that happened to you this semester?
- What do you miss most about high school?
- What was the worst thing that happened to you this semester? What did you learn from this experience?
- A typical day at college: Describe the activities that take place during one day in college and explain how they contribute to your overall education and experience.
- How do you spend time when there is no class?
- What do you like best about living away from home?
- What would be your biggest challenge if you were still living with your parents?
- Getting a job right out of high school is tough. But getting one right out of college? That’s even harder! What was your first job like? Did it teach you anything about how the world works? Were there any surprises along the way? If so, what were they?
- What is your most memorable experience with a professor or classmate?
You may also like: Top 100 Argumentative essay topics
Personal narrative essay topics
A personal narrative essay is a type of essay that involves writing about some event that has happened to you in your life. This event can be any significant happening. The most important thing about this type of essay is that it must be written in the first person and should be told from the writer’s perspective. The purpose of such an essay is usually to share some experience with others, so they can learn from it or feel connected to it.
Here are some of the personal narrative essay topics to get you started.
- What is the best gift you’ve ever received?
- What is your biggest fear?
- The happiest time in your life. What made it special?
- The worst moment in your life. What happened?
- What was your childhood like? Did you grow up in a single-parent household or with both parents? What was your relationship like with your parents?
- An occasion when you were scared or surprised.
- Have you had to overcome a specific challenge in your life?
- What was your first job like, and how did it affect you?
- What makes you happy or sad?
- How was your first day in college?
- Describe the place where you grew up.
- What is your favorite holiday or festival?
- Describe an event that changed your life forever and how it affected you. Was it positive or negative?
- What happened yesterday/last year/five years ago that was memorable for you? How did it feel at the time, and why do you think it was memorable?
- What is your biggest accomplishment?
- What is your most embarrassing moment?
- Who are you, in 100 words or less?
- What does success mean to you?
- Why do you love your family?
- Do you have a pet and if so, what kind of pet is it, and why did you choose this particular type of pet?
Relationship narrative essay topics
The most common narrative essay topics are based on relationships. This can be a romantic relationship, a friendship, or a family relationship. You don’t have to be married or dating someone to write about your love story. Some students write about their parent’s marriage and how it has affected them. Others may write about their best friend and how they’ve been there for each other through thick and thin.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- An argument with your spouse or significant other.
- A family reunion.
- A fight between friends or siblings. How did it affect both parties involved? What did they learn from the experience?
- A breakup with a boyfriend or girlfriend. How did it affect you?
- Your first love. What was it like to fall in love for the first time?
- A divorce or a breakup. Was there an argument or conflict that led to the breakup?
- The first time you met your best friend. Did they want to be your friend too?
- Your worst break up. How did you heal?
- An argument with your best friend.
- Discuss the relationship between teachers and students.
- Describe the best memories of your childhood memories. What happened?
- How do people interact with each other in their daily lives, and what is the role of communication in their relationships?
- How do people deal with difficult situations? Is there a standard way of dealing with challenges in the world?
- What famous novels or movies changed your idea of love?
- Have you ever lost someone to an illness? How did it affect you?
Argumentative Narrative essay topics
A narrative argument essay is an essay that tells a story. It is an essay that describes a situation, event, or experience, draws conclusions, and makes arguments based on the story. The story may be about something that happened to you, or it may be about events in history.
When writing a narrative argument essay, you must ensure that you are making logical arguments about your topic. You do this through evidence (facts).
Here are some of the best narrative argument essay topics.
- The benefits of reading books.
- Why do you think college is important?
- How has technology changed our lives?
- Eating healthy food is better for you than eating junk food.
- What is the effect of global warming on the future of our planet?
- How has social media affected society’s view of the world?
- What are the Internet’s effects on business, education, and entertainment?
- What is the importance of physical fitness in schools today?
- How important is education in our society today?
- What are the reasons why high school students should not be required to wear uniforms?
Cultural narrative essay topics
A cultural narrative is an account of the history of a culture or cultural group. Cultural narratives are often used to explain societal norms and values or to justify them. They may also be used to describe how a particular group came to be in their current situation or why they have been treated differently by others.
Here are some of the cultural narrative essay topics you can use to write your essay.
- Describe the development of cultural identity and its impact on the individual.
- Discuss the use of culture to define identity in a multicultural society.
- Discuss the role of art in shaping our cultural identity.
- Does religion influence our culture?
- Why do people choose to wear certain clothes?
- What are your family traditions?
- Write about an experience that challenged your beliefs or changed them completely.
- What is the role of culture in the development of the modern world?
- What are the effects of culture on the development of humanity in general?
- What is the influence of religion on the development of culture and civilization as a whole?
- Write about how you were influenced by an older sibling or other relatives when you were young.
- Write about a time when you had a good conversation with someone who doesn’t share your religious beliefs or vice versa and how it affected your view of the world.
We hope this list will help you come up with a narrative essay that will impress your teacher. And whether you’re a high school student struggling with an essay or perhaps a university student with an assignment or two to complete, we’ve got you covered.
Simply click “Order Now,” fill out the order form and leave the rest to us.