Social media has become part of our everyday lives. We use it to stay connected with friends and family, and it’s also where we express ourselves and share our ideas.
The following are some of the best essay topics about social media:
Persuasive essay topics about social media
Persuasive essays, also known as arguments, are all about convincing a reader that your opinion is the correct one. Persuasive essays present a topic and then give the writer’s opinion about the topic.
Sample persuasive essay topics:
- Social media has changed our daily life negatively.
- Social media promotes group thinking.
- There are more benefits than drawbacks of social media use among teens.
- Social media affect romantic relationships negatively.
- Social media is the easiest form of advertisement.
- Social media impact politics and elections.
- The role of social media in the education system.
- Social networking sites should be banned for young children.
- Cyberbullying is a silent killer among teens.
- Effects of social media on mental health.
- Using social media among underage children is unethical.
- The world cannot survive without social media.
- Students should not be allowed to have smartphones in school.
- Should kids be using social media?
- Social media promotes connectivity. What does this mean for people in a large country like Canada or the US?
- Online connections are not real.
Discussion essay topics about social media
A discussion essay presents multiple viewpoints on the same topic and then invites the reader to decide which of these viewpoints is the most valid. This essay aims to demonstrate an understanding of alternative opinions on a particular issue.
Sample discussion essay topics on social media:
- Discuss the trends and predictions of social media. What trends do you see emerging in the next five years?
- Discuss the possibility of too much or too little privacy in the digital age. What is the right balance between privacy and sharing online?
- Discuss the role of social media in promoting healthy/unhealthy lifestyles.
- Discuss the pros and cons of using social media among high school students.
- Discuss the effect of social media on childhood development.
- Discuss the effect of cyberbullying among teens.
- Endless scrolling is the greatest threat facing humanity today.
- Discuss the weaponization of social media in politics.
- Discuss the radicalization of social media.
- Schools should ban the use of social media among students.
- Social media is one of the greatest human inventions.
- To follow or not to follow? That is the question
- Parody accounts can have serious consequences. Discuss
- Social media, new identity and publicity.
- Social media impacts the way we remember and relate to the past.
- Should the government regulate social media?
- How can we deal with online bullying?
- Famous people have a greater responsibility on social media. Why is that?
Cause and effect essay topics about social media
A cause and effect essay is written so that the main idea (the cause) is followed by a series of events resulting from the original cause. This structure can be expressed in many different ways, but the most common being “a is caused by b” or “b results from a.”
Sample cause and effect essay topics on social media:
- What are the effects of social media on our life?
- What are the harmful causes of social media on political issues?
- What are the adverse effects of social media on cyberbullying?
- How is social media affecting marketing?
- Does social media influence depend on gender/age/?
- Does social media cause obesity?
- How does social media cause depression?
- Does social media cause divorce?
- Does social media cause self-esteem issues?
- Implications of social media on self-esteem.
- What are the societal implications of excessive social media use?
- How does influencer marketing affect purchase?
- What are the long-term effects of social media?
- How does social media use affect mental health?
- How does social media use affect the brain’s health?
- Social media addiction: Cause and effect.
You might also like: Controversial Essay Topics That Can Be Fun to Write
Explanatory essay topics about social media
An explanatory essay is an academic paper that describes something or someone, usually in a fairly detailed or complete way.
Sample explanatory essay topics on social media:
- Explain how social media has caused adverse effects on mental and physical health.
- Explain whether children should be allowed to use social media.
- Explain how social media will be in the future.
- Explain how social media has affected teens.
- Explain how social media has affected children.
- Explain how social media causes poor self-esteem among teens.
- Explain how addictive it is to use social media.
- Explain the importance of social media in organizations.
- Explain the importance of social media in businesses.
- Explain the impact of social media in journalism.
- Explain the impact of social media in politics.
- Explain the impact of social media on terrorism.
- Explain the impact of social media on getting a job.
- Explain the impact of social media on physical health among Americans.
- Explain the impact of social media radicalization.
Analytical essay topics about social media
An analytical essay means you need to deconstruct your work so that the reader will be guided through it easily and get an interesting result. It emphasizes the way you think and how your thoughts build up to the topic studied.
Sample analytical essay topics on social media:
- Analyze how the use of social media impacts society today.
- Analyze how Instagram has changed our perception of beauty.
- Analyze ways social media can help students learn more efficiently.
- Social media and information security. What are the risks associated with using these types of sites? How do we deal with these risks?
- Social media and privacy issues. Should companies be allowed to collect information about their users without their consent? If so, why?
- Analyze the effective use of social media.
- Analyze the future trends in social media marketing.
- Analyze the benefits of using Facebook ads over other forms of advertising.
- Analyze the role of social media in marketing strategies.
- Analyze the pros and cons of using social media for customer service purposes.
- Analyze the risks associated with using personal information on social media sites.
- Analyze the impact of social media on education.
- How does social media affect young adults?
- How does social media influence fashion trends?
- From a business perspective, why are companies turning to social media to increase revenue?
- One big happy family? The real implications of having a big extended family online.
- Facebook has been around since 2004. How has the social networking website changed over time?
Sociology essay topics about social media
Sociology studies human social behavior and experience, as well as the examination of groups, cultures, localities, organizations and institutions. Though it can specialize in one of these areas over others, the main purpose of sociology is to study humanity.
Because a sociology paper has a strong focus on social experience or behavior, it tends to incorporate other subjects such as race & ethnicity, social class, gender & sexuality and many more.
Sample sociology essay topics on social media:
- The effect of social media on our society today.
- How social media has affected relationships between friends and family members.
- What is the impact of social media on politics and elections?
- The changing nature of relationships due to online dating.
- The influence of social media on children’s development.
- Ethical concerns of social networks among teenagers.
- Should parents monitor their children’s social media use?
- How can social media be used for social change?
- How can society gain from using Facebook/Instagram/TikTok?
- What is #DigitalNarcissism, and how does it relate to social media?
- The impact of hashtags in driving an agenda on social media.
- How is social media contributing to loneliness?
- Why is time spent on social media meaningless?
- The sad truth about social media addiction.
- Do you think your behavior online is different from your real behavior?
- Social media is addictive like any other drug
- Being connected is just not the same as being together. Face-to-face contact leaves us feeling closer, more satisfied, and more secure.
It is clear that social media is changing the way we communicate. Along with language, it has become our greatest tool of expression. However, there is still no single accepted model of what social media “should be,” and this fusion of philosophy and technology (along with a lot of personalization) makes it difficult to establish an objective definition or universal etiquette.
Yet, despite this confusion, most people would agree that social media benefits society as a whole.